History

Wiltwyck is the premier family oriented semi-private club in the mid-Hudson Valley located in Kingston, conveniently off exit 19 of the New York State Thruway. Originally founded in 1933, Wiltwyck relocated to its present location in 1954. Wiltwyck’s golf course was designed by Robert Trent Jones and is widely recognized as a significant test of championship golf. Wiltwyck provides a best in class golf experience for golfers of all ages and levels. The grounds include a pool, fitness center, tennis and pickle ball courts, a banquet facility as well as indoor and patio dinning, all in a relaxed and elegant environment.

 

Designed by renowned golf course architect Robert Trent Jones Sr. this par 72 layout measures 6,877 yards from the championship tees and has proven to be a challenge even to the most proficient of golfers. Rich in history Wiltwyck dates back to 1933 and moved to it’s present location” in 1954.

Formed in April 1933, the golf club began with a nine-hole course off Hurley Avenue. Twenty years later, construction of the NYS Thruway threatened to slice that course in half, but the resourceful Wiltwyck club took that as an opportunity to purchase the Steward Farm on Steward Lane in the Town of Ulster. In 1955, an 18-hole, par-72 course was unveiled at the new locale, designed by renowned golf course architect Robert Trent Jones.

 

“Love this course. Some tricky little tight holes, but some open ones for big hitters. Friendly staff and nice bar.”

Google Review, July 20th, 2019

April 13, 1933

Wiltwyck Golf Club was founded

May 22, 1933

The Club purchased 145.33 acres adjacent to Hurley Avenue in Hurley for $11,000

The original 9-hole golf course was created, and an existing barn was converted into a club house and pro shop

1940s

The Club took off as a place to golf and socialize

April 28, 1953

The NYS Thruway build plan was proposed and laid out

Blue prints for the Thruway called for the original 9-hole course to be cut in half

Construction began and, despite the distraction, golfers continued to play.

Robert Trent Jones, Sr. was retained by the Club to negotiate a settlement with the State and to design a new course

April 30, 1954

Using the proceeds from the State settlement and other borrowed funds, the Club purchased the Steward Farm Club (current location)

New (current) location was littered with stone walls and heavy brush, creating a challenging build

Spring, 1955

At completion in 1955, the new 18-hole, par 72 Wiltwyck layout was 7,005 yards in length from the back tees

1960

The Club added the Pool, expanding amenities for members

Hole 17 was shortened from 600 yards to 545, creating room for the pool

A new pro shop was built along the side of the club house

1980’s

Major bunker renovation throughout course

1985

Full irrigation system was added, dramatically improving the course condition

1992

Major Clubhouse renovation

1994      

IBM closed, causing a major loss in membership and a big blow to the surrounding Kingston community

1995

New greens were constructed on holes 7 & 15

2001

Architect Stephen Kay helped the Club make major bunker renovations while adding bunkers on holes 1, 12 and 17 and adding new tees on holes 4, 12, 14, 16, 17, 18

2004

The green on hole 2 was rebuilt and new tees were added on holes 5, 6, 7 and 11

The NY State Men’s Amateur Championship was held at Wiltwyck

November and December 2017

Club close to foreclosure, and was saved by its members

11 members/investors purchased the Club  

January 2018

Overhaul to save Wiltwyck began:

Restaurant given long overdue make over and was taken over by a third party group

Luke Burbach brought in from Florida as Head Golf Professional

Jason Nalepa promoted to Superintendent

April 2018

Wiltwyck reopens under new ownership and management

Limited public play permitted